Assistant Professor and Coordinator of Undergraduate Advising
- Mann Hall 203B
- Visit My Website
Dr. Tarek Aziz is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering at NC State. Dr. Aziz is interested in research the couples environmental fluid dynamics with biological, chemical, and physical processes in both engineered and natural systems.
Dr. Aziz received his B.S. (2004) and M.S. (2005) degrees in Civil Engineering at Clemson University. He received his Ph.D. in Civil Engineering from NC State (2010). Dr. Aziz spent five years as a teaching assistant professor in the Department of Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering at NC State before transitioning to a tenure track assistant professor in 2015. At NC State he teaches CE 382 Hydraulics and CE 297 Introduction to Sustainable Infrastructure.
North Carolina State University
Dr. Aziz's research focuses on environmental systems where biological, chemical, and/or physical processes are closely coupled to fluid dynamics. Dr. Aziz and his team use field monitoring, lab-based experiments, and numerical modeling to develop solutions and gain insights into both natural and engineered environmental processes. Research topics that Dr. Aziz is working on include studying the effects of artificial mixing on harmful algal blooms and the use of engineered wetlands for the removal of emerging contaminants like pharmaceuticals and personal care products.
Honors and Awards
- NCSU Outstanding Teacher Award Recipient, 2014
- Determination of biosolids phosphorus solubility and its relationship to wastewater treatment
- Jameson, M., White, J. G., Osmond, D. L., & Aziz, T. (2016), Water Environment Research, 88(7), 602-610.
- Municipal solid waste conversion to transportation fuels: a life-cycle estimation of global warming potential and energy consumption
- Pressley, P. N., Aziz, T. N., DeCarolis, J. F., Barlaz, M. A., He, F., Li, F. X., & Damgaard, A. (2014), Journal of Cleaner Production, 70, 145-153.
- Determining the limits of anaerobic co-digestion of thickened waste activated sludge with grease interceptor waste
- Wang, L., Aziz, T. N., & de los Reyes, F. L. (2013), Water Research, 47(11), 3835-3844.
- Field characterization of external grease abatement devices
- Aziz, T. N., Holt, L. M., Keener, K. M., Groninger, J. W., & Ducoste, J. J. (2012), Water Environment Research, 84(3), 237-246.
- Anaerobic co-digestion of fat, oil, and grease (FOG): A review of gas production and process limitations
- Long, J. H., Aziz, T. N., de los Reyes, F. L., & Ducoste, J. J. (2012), Process Safety and Environmental Protection, 90(3), 231-245.
- Simulation of vertical plane turbulent jet in shallow water
- Aziz, T.N., & Khan, A.A. (2011), Advances in civil engineering (Online), .
- Assessment of internal and external grease interceptor performance for removal of food-based fats, oil, and grease from food service establishments
- Gallimore, E., Aziz, T. N., Movahed, Z., & Ducoste, J. (2011), Water Environment Research, 83(9), 882-892.
- Performance of grease abatement devices for removal of fat, oil, and grease
- Aziz, T. N., Holt, L. M., Keener, K. M., Groninger, J. W., & Ducoste, J. J. (2011), Journal of Environmental Engineering (New York, N.Y.), 137(1), 84-92.
- Numerical Simulation of Turbulent Jets
- Aziz, T, Raiford, J., & Khan, A.-A. (2008), Engineering Applications of Computational Fluid Dynamics, 2(2), 234-243.
- Improving performance and examining expansion of constructed wetlands for tertiary treatment of nitrogen from domestic and municipal wastewater
- NCSU Water Resources Research Institute(6/01/18 - 5/29/19)
- Predicting the Effectiveness of Artificial Mixing for Controlling Algal Blooms in Piedmont Reservoirs
- NCSU Water Resources Research Institute(3/01/16 - 12/01/18)
- Effects of Enhanced Circulation on Vertical Mixing and Algal Blooms In Freshwater Reservoirs
- National Science Foundation (NSF)(6/01/15 - 5/31/18)
- Improving Start-up and Operation of Anaerobic Co-Digestion of Grease Interceptor Waste
- NCSU Water Resources Research Institute(3/01/15 - 12/31/16)
- Sustainable Anaerobic Co-Digestion of Grease Interceptor Waste
- NCSU Water Resources Research Institute(3/01/13 - 6/28/14)
- Utilizing Municipal Solid Waste as a Biofuel Feedstock
- Biofuels Center of North Carolina(7/01/11 - 4/30/13)