- Mann Hall 422
Dr. John Stone is an educator and researcher in transportation systems, planning, and modeling. John is director of the NCSU Southeastern Transportation Center program, which is affiliated with the University of Tennessee, and he is director of the NCSU Civil Engineering Summer Practicum.
Dr. Stone is a member of ASCE which recognized his accomplishments in transportation research and education with the Frank M. Masters Transportation Engineering Award.
University of Virginia
University of South Carolina
University of Virginia
Dr. Stone is interested in transportation engineering and systems analysis, urban transportation and land use. His past research projects include advanced aircraft, computer models for transportation planning, transportation systems evaluation, traveler behavior, environmental and community context sensitive design, transportation surveys, transportation benefits and costs, and transportation safety. Recently he has focused on truck traffic while leading projects to: characterize truck traffic throughout North Carolina; develop the first statewide transportation model for North Carolina; build a statewide truck traffic database for pavement design; and weigh very heavy trucks (132,000 - 1 million pounds).
- Locating traffic sensors on a highway network models and algorithms
- Sayyady, F., Fathi, Y., List, G. F., & Stone, J. R. (2013), Transportation Research Record, (2339), 30–38.
- Axle load distribution for mechanistic-empirical pavement design in North Carolina multidimensional clustering approach and decision tree development
- Sayyady, F., Stone, J. R., List, G. F., Jadoun, F. M., Kim, Y. R., & Sajjadi, S. (2011), Transportation Research Record, (2256), 159–168.
- Clustering analysis to characterize mechanistic-empirical pavement design guide traffic data in North Carolina
- Sayyady, F., Stone, J. R., Taylor, K. L., Jadoun, F. M., & Kim, Y. R. (2010), Transportation Research Record, (2160), 118–127.
- Empirical case study of spatial-temporal student activity population
- Eom, J. K., Stone, J. R., & Kang, K. (2010), Transportation Research Record, (2157), 11–21.
- Daily activity patterns of university students
- Eom, J. K., Stone, J. R., & Ghosh, S. K. (2009), Journal of Urban Planning and Development, 135(4), 141–149. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)UP.1943-5444.0000015
- Data reuse methods for transportation planning in small- and medium-sized towns
- Horner, J. W., Stone, J. R., & Huntsinger, L. F. (2008), Journal of Urban Planning and Development, 134(4), 149–152. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9488(2008)134:4(149)
- Synthesized through-trip models for small and medium urban areas
- Han, Y., & Stone, J. R. (2008), Transportation Research Record, (2077), 148–155.
- Manual traffic allocation for small-town networks
- Han, Y., Stone, J. R., & Huntsinger, L. F. (2007), Transportation Research Record, (1997), 24–34.
- Winston-Salem mobility manager: Data collection, validation, and performance evaluation
- Stone, J. R., Baugh, J. W., Chakravarty, S., & Surasky, M. N. (2001), In Transit: Bus transit and maintenance: Rural paratransit technology: Capacity and quality of service (pp. 114–120). Washington, DC: National Academy Press.
- Effectiveness of taxi partitions: Baltimore, Maryland case study
- Stone, J. R., & Stevens, D. C. (2000), In Transit: Bus transit and maintenance: Rural paratransit technology: Capacity and quality of service (pp. 71–78). Washington, DC: National Academy Press.
- Summer English Program (SEP) for Engineering Students 2012
- Jazan University(6/01/12 - 8/30/12)
- Analysis of Truck Load Weight Distribution in North Carolina
- NC Department of Transportation(7/01/11 - 8/15/12)
- North Carolina Statewide Travel Demand Model - PB
- US Dept. of Transportation (DOT)(3/01/10 - 9/09/10)
- STC Education Component: Educational Funding for Transportation Safety
- US Dept. of Transportation (DOT)(8/01/07 - 5/31/13)
- Development of Traffic Data Input Resources For the Mechanistic-Empirical Pavement Design Process
- NC Department of Transportation(7/01/07 - 8/15/10)
- Development of Typical Truck Trip Profiles for Rural and Urban NC
- NC Department of Transportation(7/01/06 - 9/30/08)
- 2005 Eisenhower Graduate Fellowship, Elizabeth M. Runey, Grant Award Number (USDOT FHWA): DDEGRD-05-X-00438
- US Dept. of Transportation (DOT)(9/01/05 - 9/01/06)
- North Carolina Truck Network Model HWY 2006-09
- NC Department of Transportation(7/01/05 - 6/30/08)
- Dwight David Eisenhower Transportation Fellowship Program-Elizabeth M. Runey
- US Dept. of Transportation (DOT)(9/01/04 - 9/01/05)
- Benefit-Cost Analysis Software for Transportation Planning
- NC Department of Transportation(7/01/04 - 6/30/06)