- Mann Hall 431C
- Visit My Website
Dr. Pour-Ghaz earned his BS in Civil Engineering from Tabriz University, Iran, in 2003. Before pursuing his MS in Civil Engineering, he practiced as a research engineer in the area of nondestructive testing of composites and concrete in a research and development company in Concord, Canada. After receiving his MS degree in 2007 from Carleton University, Canada, he attended Purdue University where he earned his PhD in Civil Engineering with an emphasis in concrete materials in 2011. While at Purdue, he received the William L. Dolch award for outstanding research in material science and the Magoon award for excellence in teaching.
Dr. Pour-Ghaz’s current research interests includes:
Durability of cementitious materials including: corrosion kinetics of steel in concrete, mass transport in concrete, fracture and damage mechanics of concrete, chemical degradation of cementitious materials
Understanding the microstructure and nanostructure of inorganic polymers
Electrical imaging of cementitious material
Simultaneous X-ray, neutron, and electrical imaging of materials
Large-area sensors (sensing skins)
Electromagnetic sensors and sensing techniques
Durability of Fiber Reinforced Polymer (FRP) composites
Dr. Pour-Ghaz studies the durability of reinforced concrete materials and structures, the long-term durability Fiber Reinforced Polymer (FRP) composites for civil infrastructure, and electromagnetic sensors and sensing techniques. The overall goal of his research program is to contribute to the development of mechanistic service life prediction models that integrate measurement techniques (structural health monitoring and nondestructive testing) for model updating.
- Detection and reconstruction of complex structural cracking patterns with electrical imaging
- Smyl, Danny and Pour-Ghaz, Mohammad and Seppanen, Aku (2018), NDT & E INTERNATIONAL, 99(), 123-133.
- Imaging of two-dimensional unsaturated moisture flows in uncracked and cracked cement-based materials using electrical capacitance tomography
- Voss, A. and Hanninen, N. and Pour-Ghaz, M. and Vauhkonen, M. and Seppanen, A. (2018), Materials and Structures, 51(3), .
- Performance and damage evolution of plain and fibre-reinforced segmental concrete pipelines subjected to transverse permanent ground displacement
- Pour-Ghaz, M. and Wilson, J. and Spragg, R. and Nadukuru, S. S. and Kim, J. and O'Connor, S. M. and Byrne, E. M. and Sigurdardottir, D. H. and Yao, Y. and Michalowski, R. L. and Lynch, J. P. and Green, R. A. and Bradshaw, A. S. and Glisic, B. and Weiss, J. (2018), Structure and Infrastructure Engineering, 14(2), 232-246.
- Quantifying prestressing force loss due to corrosion from dynamic structural response
- Rashetnia, Reza and Ghasemzadeh, Farnam and Hallaji, Milad and Pour-Ghaz, Mohammad (2018), JOURNAL OF SOUND AND VIBRATION, 433(), 129-137.
- What is the role of water in the geopolymerization of metakaolin?
- Park, Sungwoo and Pour-Ghaz, Mohammad (2018), CONSTRUCTION AND BUILDING MATERIALS, 182(), 360-370.
- Can Electrical Resistance Tomography be used for imaging unsaturated moisture flow in cement-based materials with discrete cracks?
- Smyl, D. and Rashetnia, R. and Seppanen, A. and Pour-Ghaz, M. (2017), Cement and Concrete Research, 91(), 61-72.
- Can the dual-permeability model be used to simulate unsaturated moisture flow in damaged mortar and concrete?
- Smyl, D. and Ghasemzadeh, F. and Pour-Ghaz, M. (2017), International Journal of Advances in Engineering Sciences and Applied Mathematics, 9(2), 54-66.
- Detection and localization of changes in two-dimensional temperature distributions by electrical resistance tomography
- Rashetnia, R. and Hallaji, M. and Smyl, D. and Seppanen, A. and Pour-Ghaz, M. (2017), Smart Materials & Structures, 26(11), .
- A functionally layered sensing skin for the detection of corrosive elements and cracking
- Seppanen, A. and Hallaji, M. and Pour-Ghaz, M. (2017), Structural Health Monitoring, 16(2), 215-224.
- Do mechanical and environmental loading have a synergistic effect on the degradation of pultruded glass fiber reinforced polymers?
- Pour-Ghaz, M. and Miller, B. L. H. and Alla, O. K. and Rizkalla, S. (2016), Composites. Part B, Engineering, 106(), 344-355.
- Electrical capacitance tomography to monitor unsaturated moisture ingress in cement-based materials
- Voss, A. and Pour-Ghaz, M. and Vauhkonen, M. and Seppanen, A. (2016), Cement and Concrete Research, 89(), 158-167.
- Modeling water absorption in concrete and mortar with distributed damage
- Smyl, D. and Ghasemzadeh, F. and Pour-Ghaz, M. (2016), Construction & Building Materials, 125(), 438-449.
- Quantitative electrical imaging of three-dimensional moisture flow in cement-based materials
- Smyl, D. and Hallaji, M. and Seppanen, A. and Pour-Ghaz, M. (2016), International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 103(), 1348-1358.
- Three-dimensional electrical impedance tomography to monitor unsaturated moisture ingress in cement-based materials
- Smyl, D. and Hallaji, M. and Seppanen, A. and Pour-Ghaz, M. (2016), Transport in Porous Media, 115(1), 101-124.
- Using neutron radiography to assess water absorption in air entrained mortar
- Li, W. T. and Pour-Ghaz, M. and Trtik, P. and Wyrzykowski, M. and Munch, B. and Lura, P. and Vontobel, P. and Lehmann, E. and Weiss, W. J. (2016), Construction & Building Materials, 110(), 98-105.
- A comparison of methods to evaluate mass transport in damaged mortar
- Ghasemzadeh, F. and Rashetnia, R. and Smyl, D. and Pour-Ghaz, M. (2016), Cement & Concrete Composites, 70(), 119-129.
- The consequences of material nonlinearity on the axisymmetric flexural vibration measurements for estimating the dynamic elastic modulus of damaged cement based materials
- Rashetnia, R. and Ghasemzadeh, F. and Pour-Ghaz, M. (2016), Journal of Advanced Concrete Technology, 14(6), 287-298.
- Effect of damage on moisture transport in concrete
- Ghasemzadeh, F. and Pour-Ghaz, M. (2015), Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, 27(9), .
- Electrical impedance tomography-based sensing skin for structural health monitoring
- Hallaji, M. and Seppaznen, A. and Pour-Ghaz, M. (2015), Structural Health Monitoring, (), 3081-3088.
- Electrical resistance tomography to monitor unsaturated moisture flow in cementitious materials
- Hallaji, M. and Seppanen, A. and Pour-Ghaz, M. (2015), Cement and Concrete Research, 69(), 10-18.
- Estimating the mechanical properties of layered media using ultrasonics: Numerical study with high resolution wave propagation
- Rashetnia, R. and Pour-Ghaz, M. (2015), Structural Health Monitoring, (), 2559-2566.
- Electrical impedance tomography-based sensing skin for quantitative imaging of damage in concrete
- Hallaji, M. and Seppanen, A. and Pour-Ghaz, M. (2014), Smart Materials & Structures, 23(8), .
- Wireless crack detection in concrete elements using conductive surface sensors and radio frequency identification technology
- Pour-Ghaz, M. and Barrett, T. and Ley, T. and Materer, N. and Apblett, A. and Weiss, J. (2014), Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, 26(5), 923-929.
- A new sensing skin for qualitative damage detection in concrete elements: Rapid difference imaging with electrical resistance tomography
- Hallaji, M. and Pour-Ghaz, M. (2014), NDT & E International, 68(), 13-21.
- The influence of pore solutions properties on drying in cementitious materials
- Villani, C. and Spragg, R. and Pour-Ghaz, M. and Weiss, W. J. (2014), Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 97(2), 386-393.
- Sustainable infrastructure materials: Challenges and opportunities
- Pour-Ghaz, M. (2013), International Journal of Applied Ceramic Technology, 10(4), 584-592.
- Water absorption and critical degree of saturation relating to freeze-thaw damage in concrete pavement joints
- Li, W. T. and Pour-Ghaz, M. and Castro, J. and Weiss, J. (2012), Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, 24(3), 299-307.
- Experimental methods to detect and quantify damage in restrained concrete ring specimens
- Pour-Ghaz, M. and Poursaee, A. and Spragg, R. and Weiss, J. (2011), Journal of Advanced Concrete Technology, 9(3), 251-260.
- Use of Moisture-Induced Stress Test (MIST) to Determine Moisture Sensitivity of Asphalt Mixtures
- NC Department of Transportation(8/01/16 - 7/31/19)
- The effects of contaminated soil and groundwater on subsurface utilities, surface water and drainage
- NC Department of Transportation(8/01/16 - 7/31/19)
- Durability of the Grouted Shear Stud Connection at Low Temperatures
- US Dept. of Transportation (DOT)(3/01/16 - 5/15/19)
- Design of Waste Transfer Station Concrete Overlays against Premature Deterioration
- Environmental Research & Education Foundation(9/15/15 - 8/14/18)
- Evaluation of Alternative Binder Material to Reduce Sewer Collection system Infrastructure Maintenance and Enhance Sustainability
- NCSU Water Resources Research Institute(3/01/16 - 6/30/19)
- The Use of Fiber Reinforcement in Latex Modified Concrete Overlay
- NC Department of Transportation(8/01/15 - 12/31/16)
- Large-Area Electrical Resistance Tomography Based Sensing Skin for Reinforced Concrete Structures
- American Society for Nondestructive Testing, Inc.(8/16/15 - 8/15/17)
- Data Fution Approach for the Effective Inspection of Prestressed Concrete
- US Dept. of Transportation (DOT)(8/26/14 - 2/25/15)
- EAGER: Submicron Fracture Toughness Measurements for Cement Paste Using FIB and Nanoindentation
- National Science Foundation (NSF)(5/15/14 - 12/31/16)
- Assessment of Deteriorated Cored Slabs Bridge No: 1050035 and 150039
- NC Department of Transportation(8/16/13 - 5/08/15)