Research Assistant Professor
Dr. James Levis is a Research Assistant Professor in the Department of Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering at North Carolina State University. His research interests are in the area of environmental systems analysis and decision support. Dr. Levis is a member of the Environmental, Water Resources, and Coastal Engineering as well as the Computing and Systems faculty groups within Civil Engineering. His primary areas of teaching and research focus on solid waste management, sustainable resource management, life-cycle modeling, and optimization.
Presently he is developing and using a life-cycle optimization framework to analyze the interrelated effects of electricity and transportation systems and greenhouse gas policies on sustainable solid waste management and resource recovery using the Solid Waste Optimization Life-cycle Framework (SWOLF). Dr. Levis is also co-developing an International Institute for Solid Waste Life-Cycle Modeling. He is also investigating the most sustainable ways to recover nutrients and energy from the organic fraction of municipal solid waste (OFMSW), as well as exploring sustainable long-term management of MSW for local communities. Dr. Levis is also developing a dynamic life-cycle optimization model capable of estimating optimal configurations and process choices for photosynthetic bioreactors (PSBRs) used in microalgae-to-biofuel systems.
Dr. Levis’s research sponsors and collaborating agencies include the US EPA, NSF, Environmental Research and Education Foundation, and Wake County Solid Waste Management Division.
North Carolina State University
North Carolina State University
Carnegie Mellon University
Dr. Levis is interested in development and use of novel life-cycle, simulation, and optimization models for decision support with primary applications related to integrated waste management, energy systems, and sustainable infrastructure.
Honors and Awards
- Fulbright Scholar - Danish Technical University, 2019
- RTI University Scholar, 2018
- Air & Waste Management Association 1st Place Dissertation Award, 2014
- International Solid Waste Association Runner-up Publication Award, 2011
- Environmental Science and Technology 2nd Runner-up Best Policy Analysis Paper, 2011
- Environmental Science and Technology Top Ten Most Read Paper, 2011
- Approaches to fill data gaps and evaluate process completeness in LCA-perspectives from solid waste management systems
- Henriksen, T., Levis, J. W., Barlaz, M. A., & Damgaard, A. (2019), INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF LIFE CYCLE ASSESSMENT, 24(9), 1587–1601. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11367-019-01592-z
- Economics of Enhancing Nutrient Circularity in an Organic Waste Valorization System
- Cobo, S., Levis, J. W., Dominguez-Ramos, A., & Irabien, A. (2019), ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY, 53(11), 6123–6132. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.est.8b06035
- Solid Waste Management Policy Implications on Waste Process Choices and Systemwide Cost and Greenhouse Gas Performance
- Jaunich, M. K., Levis, J. W., DeCarolis, J. F., Barlaz, M. A., & Ranjithan, S. R. (2019), ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY, 53(4), 1766–1775. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.est.8b04589
- Application of a life cycle model for european union policy-driven waste management decision making in emerging economies
- Stanisavljevic, N., Levis, J. W., & Barlaz, M. A. (2018), Journal of Industrial Ecology, 22(2), 341–355. https://doi.org/10.1111/jiec.12564
- A review of the airborne and waterborne emissions from uncontrolled solid waste disposal sites
- Levis, J. W., Weisbrod, A., Van Hoof, G., & Barlaz, M. A. (2017), Critical Reviews in Environmental Science and Technology. https://doi.org/10.1080/10643389.2017.1342513
- Construction and setup of a bench-scale algal photosynthetic bioreactor with temperature, light, and ph monitoring for kinetic growth tests
- Karam, A. L., McMillan, C. C., Lai, Y. C., Reyes, F. L., Sederoff, H. W., Grunden, A. M., … Ducoste, J. J. (2017), Jove-Journal of Visualized Experiments, (124).
- Evaluation of externality costs in life-cycle optimization of municipal solid waste management systems
- Martinez-Sanchez, V., Levis, J. W., Darrigaard, A., DeCarolis, J. F., Barlaz, M. A., & Astrup, T. F. (2017), Environmental Science & Technology, 51(6), 3119–3127. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.est.6b06125
- Life-cycle modeling of municipal solid waste landfills
- Levis, J. W., & Barlaz, M. A. (2017), In Geotechnical frontiers 2017: waste containment, barriers, remediation, and sustainable geoengineering (pp. 355–368). https://doi.org/10.1061/9780784480434.038
- National estimate of per- and polyfluoroalkyl substance (PFAS) release to US municipal landfill leachate
- Lang, J. R., Allred, B. M., Field, J. A., Levis, J. W., & Barlaz, M. A. (2017), Environmental Science & Technology, 51(4), 2197–2205. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.est.6b05005
- Characterization of municipal solid waste collection operations
- Jaunich, M. K., Levis, J. W., DeCarolis, J. F., Gaston, E. V., Barlaz, M. A., Bartelt-Hunt, S. L., … Jaikumar, R. (2016), Resources Conservation and Recycling, 114, 92–102. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resconrec.2016.07.012