- Mann Hall 316
- Visit My Website
John Baugh is a Professor of Civil Engineering and Operations Research at North Carolina State University. He received the Ph.D. from Carnegie Mellon University in 1989.
In addition to carrying out research and instructional programs, Dr. Baugh works broadly within the university to improve the educational opportunities and outcomes of its students. Included among those efforts is leadership in creating a new graduate program in the areas of computing and systems engineering, and previously serving as Director of the NC Japan Center.
Before pursuing the Ph.D., he worked as a Research Engineer in Applied Mechanics and Structures at Battelle’s Pacific Northwest National Laboratory. He is a member of ACM, INFORMS, Phi Kappa Phi, Tau Beta Pi, and Chi Epsilon.
Carnegie Mellon University
Carnegie Mellon University
Dr. Baugh's research interests include systems engineering and computing applications in engineering; concurrent and distributed algorithms and systems; formal methods for specifying and verifying software systems; mathematical modeling, optimization, and support for engineering design. Current and past funding sources include the US Department of Energy, National Science Foundation, Department of Homeland Security, Federal Transit Administration, US Environmental Protection Agency, and North Carolina Supercomputing Center.
- Adaptive subdomain modeling: A multi-analysis technique for ocean circulation models
- Altuntas, A., & Baugh, J. (2017), Ocean Modelling (Oxford, England), 115, 86-104.
- Modeling a discrete wet-dry algorithm for hurricane storm surge in alloy
- Baugh, J., & Altuntas, A. (2016), In Abstract state machines, alloy, b, tla, vdm, and z (abz 2016). (Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 9675) (pp. 256-261).
- A general characterization of the Hardy Cross method as sequential and multiprocess algorithms
- Baugh, J., & Liu, S. (2016), Structures, 6, 170-181.
- SMT: An interface for localized storm surge modeling
- Dyer, T., Baugh, J. (2016), Advances in Engineering Software, 92, 27-39.
- An exact reanalysis technique for storm surge and tides in a geographic region of interest
- Baugh, J., Altuntas, A., Dyer, T., Simon, J. (2015), Coastal Engineering, 97, 60-77.
- A novel optimization approach for minimum cost design of trusses
- Kripakaran, P., Gupta, A., & Baugh, J. W. (2007), Computers and Structures, 85(23-24), 1782-1794.
- Closure to "Optimal design of redundant water distribution networks using a cluster of workstations" by Sujay V. Kumar, Troy A. Doby, John W. Baugh Jr., E. Downey Brill, and S. Ranji Ranjithan
- Kumar, S. V., Doby, T. A., Baugh, J. W., Brill, E. D., & Ranjithan, S. R. (2007), Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management, 133(6), 580-581.
- Optimal design of redundant water distribution networks using a cluster of workstations
- Kumar, S. V., Doby, T. A., Baugh, J. W., Brill, E. D., & Ranjithan, S. R. (2006), Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management, 132(5), 374-384.
- Genetic algorithm-based decision support for optimizing seismic response of piping systems
- Gupta, A., Kripakaran, P., Mahinthakumar, G. K., & Baugh, J. W. (2005), Journal of Structural Engineering (New York, N.Y.), 131(3), 389-398.
- Asynchronous genetic algorithms for heterogenous networks using course-grained dataflow
- Baugh, J. W., & Kumar, S. V. (2003), In E. Cantu-Paz (Ed.), Genetic and evolutionary computation--GECCO 2003: Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference, Chicago, IL, USA, July 12-16, 2003: Proceedings. (Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 2723) (pp. 730-741). Berlin; New York: Springer.
- Development and Application of a Data-Driven Methodology for Validation of Risk Informed Safety Margin Characterization Models
- US Dept. of Energy (DOE)(10/01/16 - 9/30/19)
- Engineering for Resilient Civil Infrastructure Systems: A Graduate Research Fellowship Program
- US Dept. of Homeland Security (DHS)(9/30/09 - 9/30/13)
- Engineering the Civil Infrastructure For Enhanced Resiliance of the Built and Natural Environments
- US Dept. of Homeland Security (DHS)(7/01/08 - 6/30/15)
- Modeling and Optimization of Civil Engineering Infrastructure
- Blue Ridge Analytics, Inc.(12/01/04 - 4/30/06)