- Mann Hall 425F
Dr. Eleni Bardaka is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering (CCEE) at NCSU. She is primarily associated with the Transportation Systems group within the CCEE Department and is interested in transportation planning and economics research. Dr. Bardaka currently teaches CE 297 – Introduction to Sustainable Infrastructure and CE 401/501 – Transportation Systems Analysis.
National Technical University of Athens, Greece
Dr. Bardaka is interested in the relationship between the spatial patterns of urban development and transportation interventions. She mainly focuses on urban phenomena such as gentrification, segregation, and displacement and on how they relate to transportation investments and policies. She is currently studying the socioeconomic impacts of urban rail, including the gentrification and economic displacement of lower-income households, as well as affordable housing schemes close to transit systems. In her research, she uses spatial econometric analysis and quasi-experimental methods to test if there is a causal link between a transportation intervention and a socioeconomic outcome. She also supports state agencies with research related to highway-induced local and regional economic development, cost-benefit analysis of different projects (such public-private partnerships and toll roads), and evaluation of alternative revenue sources.
Honors and Awards
- Best Paper by a Junior Researcher Award at the Annual Conference of the International Transportation Economics Association for the paper "Causal identification of gentrification and local spatial spillover effects of urban rail infrastructure", 2017
- Tools for the wider economic impact assessment of corridor improvements: Lessons learned from the FHWA implementation assistance program in Indiana
- Chacon-Hurtado, D., Bardaka, E., Yang, R., Gkritza, K., Fricker, J. D. (2017), Journal of Transportation Engineering Part A: Systems, 143(5).
- EconWorks tools for assessing the wider economic benefits of transportation implementation assistance
- Hurtado, D.C., Yang, R., Bardaka, E., Gkritza, K., & Fricker, J. (2016), (Technical Report, ).
- Updating state and local highway cost allocation and revenue attribution: A case study for Indiana
- Agbelie, B., Volovski, M., Zhang, Z., & Bardaka, E., Labi, S., & Sinha, K. (2016), Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 2597.
- Assessing the socioeconomic effects of transit rail development: An exploration of displacement and gentrification
- Bardaka, E., Pyrialakou, D., & Gkritza, K. (2016), (95th Annual Meeting of the Transportation Research Board, ).
- Statistical assessment of the cost effectiveness of highway pavement warranty contracts
- Bardaka, E., Zhang, Z, Labi, S., Sinha, K.C., & Mannering, F. (2016), Journal of Infrastructure Systems, 22(3).
- Indiana state highway cost allocation and revenue attribution study and estimation of travel by out-of-state vehicles on Indiana highways
- Volovski, M., Bardaka, E., Zhang, Z., Agbelie, B., Labi, S., & Sinha, K.C. (2015), (Joint Transportation Research Program Publication, ).
- Using enhanced econometric techniques to verify the service life of asset interventions: A case study for Indiana
- Bardaka, E., Labi, S., & Haddock, J. (2014), Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 2431.
- Effects of rehabilitation treatments on pavement cracking: An empirical investigation
- Bardaka, E., & Karlaftis, M. (2012), (91st Annual Meeting of the Transportation Research Record, ).
- Analysis and Validation of Historical Transportation Investment
- NC Department of Transportation(8/01/16 - 7/31/18)