Director, Institute for Transportation Research and Education
- Mann Hall 418
Dr. Billy M. Williams serves as the Director of the Institute for Transportation Research and Education and is a Professor in the Department of Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering at North Carolina State University. Previously he served as Assistant Professor in the School of Civil and Environmental Engineering at the Georgia Institute of Technology in Atlanta. Before beginning his academic career, Dr. Williams spent over five years as a consulting engineer with the firm of Kimley-Horn and Associates and four years as a commissioned officer in the U.S. Navy Civil Engineer Corps.
Dr. Williams is a recognized expert in the areas of analytical and simulation modeling of traffic operations and transportation networks, intelligent transport systems, and the application of rigorous statistical methods to a broad range of transportation modeling applications, including traffic condition forecasting and models of fundamental traffic flow characteristics.
University of Virginia
North Carolina State University
North Carolina State University
Dr. Williams is interested in intelligent transportation systems, travel time reliability, real-time control system optimization, transportation network simulation, applied statistics and time series analysis in transportation, and traffic flow theory. Funding for Dr. Williams' research program has come from a variety of sources including NSF, NCHRP, SHRP2, and the North Carolina Department of Transportation.
- Data-driven approach for identifying spatiotemporally recurrent bottlenecks
- Song, T.-J., Williams, B. M., & Rouphail, N. M. (2018), IET INTELLIGENT TRANSPORT SYSTEMS, 12(8), 756–764. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-its.2017.0284
- Real-Time Prediction of Seasonal Heteroscedasticity in Vehicular Traffic Flow Series
- Huang, W., Jia, W., Guo, J., Williams, B. M., Shi, G., Wei, Y., & Cao, J. (2018), IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON INTELLIGENT TRANSPORTATION SYSTEMS, 19(10), 3170–3180. https://doi.org/10.1109/TITS.2017.2774289
- Advances in travel time reliability monitoring and assessment
- List, G. F., & Williams, B. (2017), Journal of Intelligent Transportation Systems, 21(6), 435–438. https://doi.org/10.1080/15472450.2017.1403536
- Dynamic bandwidth analysis for coordinated arterial streets
- Kim, S., Hajbabaie, A., Williams, B. M., & Rouphail, N. M. (2016), Journal of Intelligent Transportation Systems, 20(3), 294–310. https://doi.org/10.1080/15472450.2015.1074575
- Dynamic traffic flow model for travel time estimation
- Yi, T., & Williams, B. M. (2015), Transportation Research Record, (2526), 70–78.
- Real time traffic flow outlier detection using short-term traffic conditional variance prediction
- Guo, J. H., Huang, W., & Williams, B. M. (2015), Transportation Research. Part C, Emerging Technologies, 50, 160–172. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trc.2014.07.005
- Adaptive Kalman filter approach for stochastic short-term traffic flow rate prediction and uncertainty quantification
- Guo, J. H., Huang, W., & Williams, B. M. (2014), Transportation Research. Part C, Emerging Technologies, 43, 50–64. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trc.2014.02.006
- Modeling seasonal heteroscedasticity in vehicular traffic condition series using a seasonal adjustment approach
- Shi, G. G., Guo, J. H., Huang, W., & Williams, B. M. (2014), Journal of Transportation Engineering, 140(5).
- Modeling seasonal heteroscedasticity in vehicular traffic condition series using a seasonal adjustment approach (vol 140, 04014012, 2014)
- Shi, G. G., Guo, J. H., Huang, W., & Williams, B. M. (2014),
- Development of an oversaturated speed-flow model based on the highway capacity manual
- Xu, Y. L., Williams, B. M., Rouphail, N. M., & Chase, R. T. (2013), Transportation Research Record, (2395), 41–48.
- STRIDE: Fly-By Image Processing for Real Time Congestion Mitigation
- US Dept. of Transportation (DOT)(8/01/18 - 7/31/19)
- Rural Freight Transport Needs
- NC Department of Transportation(8/01/18 - 1/31/20)
- Impacts of Autonomous Vehicle Technology on Transportation Systems
- NC Department of Transportation(8/01/18 - 7/31/20)
- STRIDE-Workforce Development and Tech Transfer
- US Dept. of Transportation (DOT)(8/01/17 - 6/30/19)
- STRIDE-Project J. Transit in the Era of Shared Mobility
- US Dept. of Transportation (DOT)(5/31/17 - 1/31/19)
- STRIDE-Project I. Freeway Management for Optimal Reliability
- US Dept. of Transportation (DOT)(1/19/17 - 6/30/19)
- STRIDE-Project G. Improving Work Zone Mobility through Planning, Design and Operations
- US Dept. of Transportation (DOT)(1/19/17 - 3/31/19)
- STRIDE-Project F. Integrated Implementation of Innovative Intersection Designs
- US Dept. of Transportation (DOT)(5/16/17 - 8/15/19)
- Stride 2017 -Administration
- US Dept. of Transportation (DOT)(1/19/17 - 9/30/22)
- Data Fusion of Bluetooth with Automated Traffic Signal Performance Measures
- Digiwest, LLC.(6/19/17 - 12/31/17)