- Mann Hall 208
He is Professor of Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering at North Carolina State University and Head of Coastal Processes and Engineering at the UNC Coastal Studies Institute. In this position he also serves as the Director of Renewable Ocean Energy for North Carolina.
Previously he was Head of the Ocean Engineering Program at Texas A&M University and Head of the Coastal & Ocean Engineering Division of the Civil Engineering Department. While at TAMU he was also Director of the Texas A&M Haynes Coastal Engineering Laboratory.
He has B.S. and M.S. degrees in civil engineering from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and a Ph.D. degree in civil engineering from Georgia Institute of Technology. Prior to Texas A&M University, Dr. Edge worked extensively in the private sector, and was a professor at Clemson University.
Dr. Edge’s professional interests lie in coastal engineering, dredging technology, coastal-zone management, hydraulic engineering, and water quality modeling. He has performed extensive research in applied hydrodynamics, coastal structures, dynamic coastal processes, mathematical modeling of natural systems, marine pollution control, physical modeling of hydraulic phenomena, sediment transport, and estuarine analysis.
Dr. Edge has published extensively with over 100 publications and has made numerous conference presentations both nationally and internationally, including Korea, China, Thailand, Spain, Japan, Germany, Australia, South Africa, The Netherlands, Italy, Taiwan, and Canada.
Dr. Edge has achieved world-wide eminence. In 2009 he was awarded Distinguished Member, American Society of Civil Engineers and in 2007 he received the Outstanding Civilian Service Medal from U.S. Army, Corps of Engineers. He has received the International Coastal Engineering Award in 1997 from the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE); the W. H. Bauer Professorship in Dredging Engineering in 1994, Texas A&M University; the Morrough P. O’Brien Award in 1993 from the American Shore and Beach Preservation Association (ASBPA); and the Arthur M. Wellington Price in 1983 from ASCE.
Dr. Edge is a member of ASBPA, ASCE, Florida Shore and Beach Preservation Association, International Association for Hydraulic Research, Marine Technology Society, Permanent International Association for Navigation Congresses, and Western Dredging Association. His professional activities included being a member of the prestigious, Marine Board, National Academy of Engineering; Secretary, Rubble Mound Structures Committee, ASCE; secretary, Coastal Engineering Research Council, Waterway, Port, Coastal and Ocean Division, ASCE; and editor for 25 years of the Proceedings of the world’s most prestigious international coastal-engineering conference, the International Conference on Coastal Engineering. He served as the President on the Governing Board of the ASCE’s Coasts, Oceans, Ports, Rivers Institute. He currently serves as the Technical Region Director of the ASCE Board of Direction.
Georgia Institute of Technology
Virginia Polytechnic Institute
Virginia Polytechnic Institute
Prof Edge is interested in sustainable engineering practices in the coastal environment, coastal engineering, dredging technology, coastal zone management, hydraulic engineering, modeling of coastal processes.
- Modeling of wave energy converters by GPUSPH and Project Chrono
- Wei, Z., Edge, B. L., Dalrymple, R. A., & Herault, A. (2019), OCEAN ENGINEERING, 183, 332–349. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2019.04.029
- Flood Risk Management: The Need for Sound Policies and Practices
- Traver, R., Andersen, C., Edge, B., Fowler, D., Calloway, G., Jr., Gilbert, R. B., … Whitten, B. (2014), Civil Engineering Magazine Archive, 84(4), 48–57. https://doi.org/10.1061/CIEGAG.0000489
- Hydrodynamic characterization of Corpus Christi Bay through modeling and observation
- Islam, M. S., Bonner, J. S., Edge, B. L., & Page, C. A. (2014), Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 186(11), 7863–7876. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10661-014-3973-5
- Evaluation of the Structure of Levee Transitions on Wave Run-Up and Overtopping by Physical Modeling
- Oaks, D., Edge, B., & Lynett, P. (2012), Journal of Waterway, Port, Coastal, and Ocean Engineering, 138(1), 53–62. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)WW.1943-5460.0000103
- Investigation of the Damage to Areas of Coastal Chile Due to the Maule MW 8.8 Earthquake of February 27, 2010
- Edge, B., Eskijian, M., Boudreau, R., Carbuccia, M., Jaradat, O., Percher, M., … Arulmoli, A. (2011), Solutions to Coastal Disasters 2011. Presented at the Solutions to Coastal Disasters Conference 2011. https://doi.org/10.1061/41185(417)31
- Renewable Ocean Energy
- Edge, B. L., & White, N. M. (2011), Coastal Engineering Practice (2011). Presented at the Conference on Coastal Engineering Practice 2011. https://doi.org/10.1061/41190(422)85
- Erosional equivalences of levees: Steady and intermittent wave overtopping
- Dean, R. G., Rosati, J. D., Walton, T. L., & Edge, B. L. (2010), Ocean Engineering, 37(1), 104–113. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2009.07.016
- Potential implications of global warming and barrier island degradation on future hurricane inundation, property damages, and population impacted
- Irish, J. L., Frey, A. E., Rosati, J. D., Olivera, F., Dunkin, L. M., Kaihatu, J. M., … Edge, B. L. (2010), Ocean & Coastal Management, 53(10), 645–657. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ocecoaman.2010.08.001
- Large-scale laboratory experiment on erosion of sand beds by moving circular vertical jets
- Yeh, P.-H., Chang, K.-A., Henriksen, J., Edge, B., Chang, P., Silver, A., & Vargas, A. (2009), Ocean Engineering, 36(3-4), 248–255. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2008.11.006
- Experimental Study of Overwash
- Edge, B. L., Park, Y. H., & Overton, M. (2007), Coastal Sediments '07. Presented at the Sixth International Symposium on Coastal Engineering and Science of Coastal Sediment Process. https://doi.org/10.1061/40926(239)163
- Coastal Engineering Support to NERHI project.
- National Science Foundation (NSF)(7/01/16 - 6/30/21)
- A Study for Support of Offshore Wind Energy Development in North Carolina
- NC Department of Commerce(7/01/11 - 4/30/12)