Dr. Alex Albert is an Assistant Professor in the Construction Engineering and Management Program in the Department of Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering. He earned his Ph.D. in Civil Engineering from the University of Colorado at Boulder in 2013. He also received a Master’s degree in Structural Engineering from Lehigh University, Pennsylvania in 2010. Dr. Albert’s research focuses on addressing the safety challenges experienced in the construction industry.
Note: My research group has openings for motivated students interested in addressing safety issues in the construction industry. A limited number of financial assistantships are available.
University of Colorado, Boulder
Dr. Albert’s primary research expertise is in the area of Construction Safety with a particular focus on hazard recognition, risk management, situational awareness, injury prevention, Construction Hazard Prevention through Design (CHPtD), and experimental research. Dr. Albert’s research work has been published in the ASCE Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, Taylor & Francis Construction Management and Economics, Elsevier Safety Science, ASSE Journal of Safety Health and Environmental Research, and others. Dr. Albert’s recent research focused on developing innovative strategies to transform construction hazard recognition. His other past research includes (1) the exploration of a risk-based contingent liability model for electrical transmission and distribution (T&D) line safety investments; (2) modeling the role of social networks in situational awareness and hazard communication; (3) application of andragogical principles for safety knowledge transfer; (4) determination of psychological antecedents of risk-taking behavior in construction; and (5) application of augmented reality for classroom teaching and safety training.
Honors and Awards
- 2017 Best Paper Award, Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE).,
- 2016 Outstanding Reviewer, Journal of Construction and Engineering, American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE).,
- 2015 Outstanding Reviewer, Journal of Construction and Engineering, American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE).,
- 2015 New Scholar, Construction Industry Institute (CII).,
- 2014 Best Paper (Second), Construction Research Congress, (CRC).,
- 2013 Best Paper Award, International Council for Research and Innovation and Building Construction (CIB) W099.,
- 2013 Best Paper Award, American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE).,
- Early Impacts of the COVID-19 Pandemic on the United States Construction Industry
- Alsharef, A., Banerjee, S., Uddin, S. M. J., Albert, A., & Jaselskis, E. (2021), INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF ENVIRONMENTAL RESEARCH AND PUBLIC HEALTH, 18(4). https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph18041559
- Feasibility Study to Identify Brain Activity and Eye-Tracking Features for Assessing Hazard Recognition Using Consumer-Grade Wearables in an Immersive Virtual Environment
- Noghabaei, M., Han, K., & Albert, A. (2021), JOURNAL OF CONSTRUCTION ENGINEERING AND MANAGEMENT. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)CO.1943-7862.0002130
- Is the Workers' Health and Safety Scenario Different in Post-Disaster Reconstruction from Conventional Construction? A Case Study in Bhaktapur, Nepal
- Uddin, S. M. J., Ganapati, N. E., Pradhananga, N., Prajapati, J., & Albert, A. (2021), INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF DISASTER RISK REDUCTION. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijdrr.2021.102529
- Real-time vision-based worker localization & hazard detection for construction
- Jeelani, I., Asadi, K., Ramshankar, H., Han, K., & Albert, A. (2021). Real-time vision-based worker localization & hazard detection for construction. AUTOMATION IN CONSTRUCTION, 121. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autcon.2020.103448,
- Wearable Sensing Devices: Towards the Development of a Personalized System for Construction Safety and Health Risk Mitigation
- Nnaji, C., Awolusi, I., Park, J. W., & Albert, A. (2021), SENSORS, 21(3). https://doi.org/10.3390/s21030682
- Work-related safety incidents among driver license examiners
- Alsharef, A., Albert, A., Uddin, S. M. J., Kittur, N. B., Chavan, S., & Jaselskis, E. (2021), SAFETY SCIENCE. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2021.105304
- Developing construction hazard recognition skill: leveraging safety climate and social network safety communication patterns
- Pandit, B., Albert, A., & Patil, Y. (2020), CONSTRUCTION MANAGEMENT AND ECONOMICS. https://doi.org/10.1080/01446193.2020.1722316
- Developing hazard recognition skill among the next-generation of construction professionals
- Albert, A., Jeelani, I., & Han, K. (2020), CONSTRUCTION MANAGEMENT AND ECONOMICS. https://doi.org/10.1080/01446193.2020.1797133
- Does the potential safety risk affect whether particular construction hazards are recognized or not?
- Albert, A., Pandit, B., Patil, Y., & Louis, J. (2020), JOURNAL OF SAFETY RESEARCH, 75, 241–250. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsr.2020.10.004
- Focus on the fatal-four: Implications for construction hazard recognition
- Albert, A., Pandit, B., & Patil, Y. (2020), SAFETY SCIENCE, 128. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2020.104774