Dr. Alex Albert is an Assistant Professor in the Construction Engineering and Management Program in the Department of Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering. He earned his Ph.D. in Civil Engineering from the University of Colorado at Boulder in 2013. He also received a Master’s degree in Structural Engineering from Lehigh University, Pennsylvania in 2010. Dr. Albert’s research focuses on addressing the safety challenges experienced in the construction industry.
Note: My research group has openings for motivated students interested in addressing safety issues in the construction industry. A limited number of financial assistantships are available.
University of Colorado, Boulder
Dr. Albert’s primary research expertise is in the area of Construction Safety with a particular focus on hazard recognition, risk management, situational awareness, injury prevention, Construction Hazard Prevention through Design (CHPtD), and experimental research. Dr. Albert’s research work has been published in the ASCE Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, Taylor & Francis Construction Management and Economics, Elsevier Safety Science, ASSE Journal of Safety Health and Environmental Research, and others. Dr. Albert’s recent research focused on developing innovative strategies to transform construction hazard recognition. His other past research includes (1) the exploration of a risk-based contingent liability model for electrical transmission and distribution (T&D) line safety investments; (2) modeling the role of social networks in situational awareness and hazard communication; (3) application of andragogical principles for safety knowledge transfer; (4) determination of psychological antecedents of risk-taking behavior in construction; and (5) application of augmented reality for classroom teaching and safety training.
Honors and Awards
- 2017 Best Paper Award, Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE).,
- 2016 Outstanding Reviewer, Journal of Construction and Engineering, American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE).,
- 2015 Outstanding Reviewer, Journal of Construction and Engineering, American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE).,
- 2015 New Scholar, Construction Industry Institute (CII).,
- 2014 Best Paper (Second), Construction Research Congress, (CRC).,
- 2013 Best Paper Award, International Council for Research and Innovation and Building Construction (CIB) W099.,
- 2013 Best Paper Award, American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE).,
- Are Visual Search Patterns Predictive of Hazard Recognition Performance? Empirical Investigation Using Eye-Tracking Technology
- Jeelani, I., Albert, A., Han, K., & Azevedo, R. (2019), JOURNAL OF CONSTRUCTION ENGINEERING AND MANAGEMENT, 145(1). https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)CO.1943-7862.0001589
- Automating and scaling personalized safety training using eye-tracking data
- Jeelani, I., Han, K., & Albert, A. (2018), AUTOMATION IN CONSTRUCTION, 93, 63–77. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autcon.2018.05.006
- Effect of distraction on hazard recognition and safety risk perception
- Namian, M., Albert, A., & Feng, J. (2018), Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, 144(4).
- Managing active cultural differences in US construction workplaces: Perspectives from non-Hispanic workers
- Al-Bayati, A. J., Abudayyeh, O., & Albert, A. (2018), JOURNAL OF SAFETY RESEARCH, 66, 1–8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsr.2018.05.004
- Preventing falls: Choosing compatible Fall Protection Supplementary Devices (FPSD) for bridge maintenance work using virtual prototyping
- Zuluaga, C. M., & Albert, A. (2018), SAFETY SCIENCE, 108, 238–247. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2017.08.006
- Protecting bridge maintenance workers from falls: Evaluation and selection of compatible fall protection supplementary devices
- Zuluaga, C. M., Albert, A., & Arroyo, P. (2018), Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, 144(8).
- Development and testing of a personalized hazard-recognition training intervention
- Jeelani, I., Albert, A., Azevedo, R., & Jaselskis, E. J. (2017), Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, 143(5).
- Development of immersive personalized training environment for construction workers
- Jeelani, I., Han, K., & Albert, A. (2017), (pp. 407–415).
- Empirical measurement and improvement of hazard recognition skill
- Albert, A., Hallowell, M. R., Skaggs, M., & Kleiner, B. (2017), Safety Science, 93, 1–8.
- Modeling the role of social networks on hazard recognition and communication
- Albert, A., & Hallowell, M. R. (2017), Practice Periodical on Structural Design and Construction, 22(4).