Icebreaker Mentor Questions
When you begin your relationship with your mentor, you may wonder what you should discuss. Hopefully, you will be pleasantly surprised about how easily conversation flows with your mentor.
One way to prepare for this meeting is to think of some icebreaker questions. We encourage you to consider choosing some from the following list or write your own questions!
Note that if you ask these questions you should be prepared to answer them too – this is a great way for you to get to know your mentor and for your mentor to get to know you!
- Why did you choose NC State and choose to major in civil, construction, or environmental engineering?
- Tell me about your NC State CCEE experience.
- Where did you grow up? What is your family like?
- What is the most important thing you did this year?
- What are five words a friend would use to describe you?
- What is a motto you try to live by?
- What is the greatest challenge you are facing right now professionally?
- What do you value in a team member?
- Where do you see yourself in five years?
- What is one goal you have for the next year?
- What do you want to learn to do better?
- What do you value most in life?
Adapted from Northwestern University Alumni Association Mentorship Program.