Coastal processes, beach and dune erosion, coastal hazard identification and response strategies to improve the resilience of coastal environments. Modeling and analysis of both short term and long term impacts due to storms and sea level rise.
- PhD, Civil Engineering, Duke University, 1981
- MS, Civil Engineering, Duke University, 1978
- BS, Civil Engineering, Duke University, 1976
Chair of the Faculty, 2010-2011
NC Coastal Resources Commission: Panel Chair, NC Division of Coastal Management’s Science Panel on Coastal Hazards
UNC Coastal Studies Institute: Science Coordinating Committee
NC Division of Water Resources: NC Beach and Inlet Management Plan Committee
Sustainable engineering practices in the coastal environment, coastal engineering, dredging technology, coastal zone management, hydraulic engineering, modeling of coastal processes
- B.S., Virginia Polytechnic Institute, Civil Engineering, 1964
- M.S., Virginia Polytechnic Institute, Civil Engineering, 1966
- Ph.D., Georgia Institute of Technology, Civil Engineering, 1969
Coastal processes modeling and analysis, coastal zone management, climate change effects on the coastal environment, renewable energy potential of coastal resources.
- B.S., Duke University, Civil Engineering, 1992
- M.C.E., North Carolina State University, Civil Engineering, 1997
- Ph.D., North Carolina State University, Civil Engineering, 2001