Education, Outreach and Extension
- Short Courses are offered in following areas:
- Construction Management for Nuclear Facilities
- Structural Dynamics
- Response Spectrum Method
- Seismic Analysis and Design of Equipment and Piping
- Reliability-Based Design and Probabilistic Risk Assessment
- Structural Engineering graduate students can take a minor in Nuclear Engineering or Nuclear Engineering graduate students to take a minor in Civil Engineering.
- Students at the Center not only take classes but also delve into problems of vital interest to the nuclear energy profession. Industry representatives provide their perspective to the students by participating on research teams.
- Some Graduate Courses offered by the Faculty are also offered as Distance Education Courses via Engineering Online program within the College of Engineering. Practicing engineers in the nuclear and other structural engineering companies have frequently benefited from these courses.
Outreach and Extension
- Hosted the highly successful 25th International Conference on Structural Mechanics in Reactor Technology, SMiRT 25, Charlotte, NC, August, 2019.
- Organized the 19th International Conference on Structural Mechanics in Reactor Technology, SMiRT19, Toronto, Canada, August 12-17, 2007.
- Organized the 16th International Conference on Structural Mechanics in Reactor Technology, SMiRT16, Washington DC, USA, August 12-17, 2001.
- Founded and hosted Biennial Symposiums on Current Issues Related to Nuclear Power Plant Structures, Equipment and Piping (Decembers of ’86, ’88, ’90, ’92, ’94, ’96, ’98, ’14, ’16).
- Customized in-plant short courses.
- Contributions to codes, standards and other technical committees and in national and international conferences.
- Enhancement and commercialization of computer codes.
- Publication of Center reports, papers and articles in journals and magazines and the Center newsletter.
- Invited Presentations to industry members.