Advising for CCEE Undergraduates

  1. How do I schedule an appointment with a CCEE advisor? (Advising)
  • Students should first check the FAQs on this page for answers to common advising questions. The role of the advisor is to advise on career goals and paths. In addition, advisors are required to release academic hold. This will be done after reviewing a student’s course plan during specially allotted times (advising weeks) in the semester.
  • Students should seek help from their assigned faculty advisor. You can find your advisor on your Degree Audit dashboard. Many advising issues can be handled via email.
  • If additional information is needed or you need to schedule an appointment with the Coordinator of Advising you may contact Toni Pascucci ( or make an appointment in Mann 203.
  • It is expected that students generally manage their course planning independently (as they have all information regarding course offerings at their disposal). In general it’s good practice for students to take control of their own destinies and try to develop solutions on their own to the extent possible.
  1. When does pre-registration advising begin and how do I get advised? (Advising)
  • Check the university registration calendar for official dates
  • Faculty advisors will either place sign-up sheets outside their office doors or email advisees with a link for a digital sign-up (e.g. Google Calendar Appointments).
  • Students should bring the following to their advising appointments: Advising Form (picked up outside Mann 203), a Degree Audit print out, a copy of the CE worksheet (if CE), and any other necessary forms a faculty advisor will need to review/sign.
  • Note: It is very important for students to come prepared for advising. Have your questions ready when you meet; you can note specific questions on your advising form.
  1. I missed the regular pre-registration advising period. How do I get advised now? (Advising)

You should email your faculty advisor to make an appointment at their convenience. This will likely be during their scheduled office hours.

  1. I have an advising hold on my account. How do I get it removed? (Advising)
  • Faculty advisors can release academic advising holds after meeting with advisees and approving their plan of work
  • Other advising holds may be in place such as holds with registration and records (e.g., a financial hold). The type of hold and other information can be checked online (go to your Student Center on MyPackPortal).
  1. I tried to register, but My Pack says I do not have a valid enrollment date. Why is this? (Registration)
  • You are trying to register before your enrollment date.
  • Check My Pack for your specific enrollment day and time.
  1. What are the CODA (matriculation) requirements for CCEE? (CODA)

The Department of Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering considers each student individually in the process of accepting applicants into our department. Depending on the number of students applying and the academic record of those students, the acceptance cutoff changes. There are, however, some general rules we follow in the process of evaluating applicants.

  • Though the CODA GPA does not include grade exclusion, the CCEE Department looks very carefully at student performance on repeated courses.
  • Traditionally PY 205, MA 141, MA 241 are scrutinized more closely for CE and CON applicants while we add CH101 for ENE students
  • Admission decisions in one program apply to all programs. In other words, a student who does not get accepted into ENE as a first choice will also not get accepted into CE or CON.
  1. How do I apply to CODA? (CODA)

Apply online (also see Question 8)

  1. How can I apply to matriculate/CODA into civil, construction, or environmental engineering if the CODA website will not let me in? (CODA)

If you are unable to apply online you may complete a department form and leave the form with Mrs. Pascucci (Mann 203) for review.

  1. How do I select CE Electives (how do I use the worksheet and guide)? (Electives, Registration, Advising, Course Questions)
  • In general, students should pick courses that first meet graduation requirements for their specific program/focus area of choice. Our curricula have flexibility in the choice for CE/ENE/CON Electives. Courses taken in this category should be used to expand your understanding of a domain or as a means to better explore interests in CCEE.
  • To ensure a student is following the graduation requirements they should pay careful attention to their program curriculum and, in the case of CE students, their CE focus-area worksheets (listed below).
  • For questions regarding professional interests/curiosity, please either contact your faculty advisor or the course instructor.
  • See list of program curriculum departmental webpages.
  • CE students have additional worksheets available as their curriculum has additional flexibility. See the Specializations listed in the Civil Engineering table.
  1. How do I enroll in a junior- or senior-level CCEE course if I have not yet CODAed into CE/CON/ENE? (Course Questions)

We do not allow students to enroll in junior or senior level CCEE courses if they have not CODAed (that is, matriculated).

  1. What can I do if I do not meet the prerequisites for a CCEE class? (Course Questions)
  • Prerequisites are enforced for all CCEE courses.
  • Any student who meets a prerequisite with a transfer course that has not yet appeared on his/her degree audit may contact for help with registration (you must provide proof, such as an unofficial transcript; you may have to have the prerequisite confirmed by the Coordinator of Advising).
  • Students with special circumstances may also appeal to the CCEE Coordinator of Advising through Ms. Pascucci. A student requesting any exception to CCEE rules or regulations must do so in writing and submit the request and a copy of the degree audit from My Pack to the CCEE Undergraduate Office in 203 Mann Hall.
  1. What if I have the pre-requisite for a class but it’s not the one listed? (Course Questions)

Students with special circumstances may appeal to the CCEE coordinator of advising through Ms. Pascucci. A student requesting any exception to CCEE rule or regulation must do so in writing and submit the request and a copy of the degree audit from My Pack to the CCEE Undergraduate Office in 203 Mann Hall.

  1. Do I have to take co-requisite courses at the same time? (Course Questions)

Yes, CCEE co-requisites are enforced. This means you must take the course at the same time or have taken the course in previous semester.

  1. How can I get into a class outside of the CCEE department that is restricted? (Course Questions)
  • When there are open seats in a course that are reserved for specific majors, you may attend class the first day and ask the instructor for permission to have one of the restricted seats. If the instructor grants permission, use a schedule revision form to add the course to your schedule. You can pick up a schedule revision form from your academic adviser. This form requires the instructor’s signature.
  • If the course restriction says departmental approval required, you may contact the instructor to find out who in the department can grant permission (permission must come from the department teaching the class).
  • If there is a GPA restriction that you do not meet, you will not be able to register for the class.
  1. I want to take ENG 331 next semester when I am a junior, but I cannot sign up for the class because of the junior standing restriction. What should I do? (Course Questions)
  • The English department does not make exceptions to this restriction.
  • Take ENG 331 later. It doesn’t matter when, since it is not a prerequisite for any other course. ENG 331 is often offered in the summer (by distance).
  1. What are the GEP requirements for the civil/construction/environmental engineering curriculum? (Course Questions, GEP Requirements)
  • All engineering students are required to take seven humanity/social science courses (21 credit hours total) from several different categories.
  • Humanity/social science GEP courses must be taken for a grade.
  • CE, CON or ENE who entered the University in the Fall, 2009 or later can check the lists through Registration and Records.
  • CON students must select one of the Management Science electives listed on the curricula sheets for CON (available at the CCEE website or in Mann 203) as their second Social Science (EC 205 or equivalent is the first).
  • ENE students must select either PS 320 or PS 336 as their second Social Science.
  1. I am interested in applying for graduate school in the CCEE department. How can I find out more information? (Graduate School)

More information can be found on our graduate academics pages. Alternately, you may contact the Director of Graduate Programs for the Department (Mann 202).

  1. Can I take a graduate level course to fulfill an undergraduate requirement? Can I use this course in graduate school too? (Course Questions)
  • Students with GPA > 3.5 may enroll in a graduate course with permission from the course instructor assuming all pre- and co-requisites have been met.
  • Students should be careful with this, however, as a graduate course cannot be used to satisfy both undergraduate and graduate requirements.
  1. I am interested in a double major in civil/construction or civil/environmental. How many extra courses will I need to take, and how do I declare a second major? (Degree Questions, Double Major)
  • In many cases, a second major will provide little benefit in terms of career opportunities. Qualified students should use the extra time to earn a second, similar undergraduate degree to work on a Masters degree instead.
  • Students who are still interested in a double major in degrees offered in this department should apply online on the CODA website and schedule and appointment with the Coordinator of Advising to review the options. Students who are not in good academic standing are not permitted to add another degree.
  • Please read more information for the latest on potential implications of earning more than the “normal” credits while in pursuit of multiple degrees here.
  1. I am interested in having two focus areas in Civil Engineering (i.e Water Resources and Transportation, Structural Engineering and Geotech, etc.) What are the requirements to obtain multiple focus areas? (Degree Questions, Double Major)
  • To take multiple focus areas the students must ensure that all requirements are met to complete the senior designs in each focus area. Ultimately this means taking the capstone in each area of focus. (Note: taking additional focus areas have several courses required as a prerequisite, and could possibly take multiple additional semesters to complete)
  • The additional capstone course can also be used to satisfy the CE/MA/SCI or a CE design (D) criteria.
  1. What is a good minor to complement my civil/construction/environmental engineering major? (Degree Questions, Minors)
  • The most popular minors for CCEE students are Economics, Spanish, and Math.
  • CCEE students with artistic interests often minor in design studies.
  • A minor in business administration may be helpful for students who plan to get an MBA, but a Business minor is often less relevant a minor in Econ. In addition, undergraduate Business courses rarely improve the ability to manage companies in the CE or ENE fields and almost never help in the Construction field. One of the few exceptions to this guideline are the Entrepreneurship courses.
  • Industrial, nuclear, and material science offer engineering minors.
  • For more information about minors, visit Academic Advising Services.
  1. Can I get a minor in civil/construction/environmental engineering? (Degree Questions, Minors)

We do not offer a minor in CCEE at this time.

  1. How do I declare a minor? (Degree Questions, Minors)
  • Fill out a minor declaration form and bring it to your minor adviser, who will approve and send it to Registration & Records.
  • The minor audit will appear under “Degree Audit” in My Pack and will be designated on your official transcript at the same time your degree is conferred.
  1. I am an incoming freshman. How do I register for my first semester of classes? (Registration)
  • The College of Engineering will pre-register you for classes based on your SAT and AP score.
  • You will be allowed to adjust your course schedule at orientation. The advising hold on your account will be released at this time.
  • Departmental advisers are not permitted to release advising holds or modify schedules for incoming freshmen.
  1. I am an incoming transfer student. How do I register for my first semester of classes, and whom should I contact with questions about my transfer courses? (Transfer Questions, Registration)

You will be advised by the College of Engineering Transfer Office. Questions about transfer courses should also be directed to Dr. Kim Robert ( in 120 Page Hall.

  1. I am a transfer student. Do I need to take E 101? (Transfer Questions)
  • E 101 is for entering EFY freshmen only and cannot be taken by transfer students. New transfer students will be enrolled in E 201 (Transfer to Success) instead. If you transferred in before the Fall, 2013 semester, you have several options:
    • Many transfer students have an extra transfer course with technical content that can be used instead. Any math, science, programming, or graphics course can be used.
    • If there is not another technical content course in the non-degree courses listed on the degree audit, we suggest MA 302 (1-credit hour).
  1. How can I get into a full class? (Registration)
  • First, get on the wait list if you can. Note that wait lists are closed the first day of class and deleted on the last day to add a class.
  • Attend the first day and see if there is room and if the instructor is willing to take extra students into the class.
  • For non-CCEE courses, if the instructor grants permission, a schedule revision form can be used to add the course to your schedule. You can pick up a schedule revision form from your academic adviser.
  • For CCEE courses, the instructor will confirm his or her permission to add the course by contacting Ms. Pascucci directly.
  • It is not recommended that students contact the instructor before classes begin about the likelihood of getting into a full class
  1. What are the differences between distance education and regular classes (non-CCEE courses only)? (Course Questions)
  • Students are not required to come to campus for distance education courses, except possibly for some exams. Exam accommodations can be made for students out of state.
  • Distance education courses are more expensive than regular courses. Check the University Cashier’s Office website for pricing:
  • Distance education courses meet the same curriculum requirements as regular courses.
  • Some on-campus courses are listed as “internet” courses. These ARE NOT distance education courses; they are undergraduate courses that will be administered online. They will be billed as regular courses.
  1. How do I register for distance education CCEE courses? (Registration, Course Questions)

Sign up as you would normally, but select one of the distance sections (for example, if CE 497 has both and on campus and off campus (distance) section, the on campus section would be listed as 001 and the distance section would be 601.

  1. How can I take more courses after I complete my degree and graduate? (Course Question, Graduation)

A student who has already earned a degree from NCSU may take more courses by registering as a PBS (post-baccalaureate studies) or NDS (non-degree studies) student.

  1. Can my CCEE adviser help me get into non-CCEE courses? (Advising, Registration, Course Questions)

No. Only administrators in the department offering a course can add or remove students from classes in that department.

  1. I am entering my last semester as a Civil Engineering student, but I cannot get into CE 4XX (a senior design course) because it is full. What should I do? (Registration, Course Questions, Graduation)
  • Contact Ms. Pascucci in Mann 203 with your first and second choices of course section
  • All graduating seniors are guaranteed a spot in a required senior design course if they have met all pre- and co-requisites.
  1. Are CCEE courses always offered during the summer? (Course Questions, Registration, Summer Session)
  • CCEE course offerings during summers are dependent on instructor availability and student demand. If no instructor is available or demand for a course is low, it will not be offered.
  • Typically the department offers CE 214, CE 313, and CE 382 in the summer. Additional courses may be added based on instructor availability and interest.
  1. Can I take more than 7 credit hours in a 5-week summer session? (Course Questions, Summer Session, Registration)
  • You must have permission from your adviser and the College of Engineering to register for more than 7 credit hours (two 3 credit classes + a 1 credit class) in a 5-week summer session.
  • Students must complete a schedule revision form, which can be downloaded or picked up in Mn 203.
  1. Can I take more than 18 credit hours in a regular semester? (Course Questions, Registration)
  • Yes. Students may register for up to 21 credit hours by completing a course load waiver form and having it signed by their academic adviser.
  • The CCEE Department only approves excess loads for students with GPA > 2.5.
  1. Can I register for senior level CCEE courses if I am a junior? (Course Questions, Registration)

Yes, as long as you meet all the prerequisites.

  1. How do I change a course to audit before the last day to drop a course? (Course Questions)

Students who want to audit a course must fill out an Audit Request Form, acquire the necessary signatures, and submit the signed form to the Office of Registration & Records (1000 Harris Hall).

  1. I have taken or plan to take a course at another college that I intend to transfer to meet one of my CCEE engineering curriculum requirements. How can I make sure the course will transfer (this includes study abroad)? (Transfer Questions, Course Questions, Transfer Questions)
  • It is recommended that required CE courses (in particular introductory mechanics courses: CE 214, CE 313, and CE 382) be taken at an engineering department at NCSU or another ABET accredited program to ensure the appropriate academic rigor and topic coverage.
  • First, check the list of pre-approved transfer courses for NC Community Colleges or other colleges/universities. If the course does not appear on either list, it will have to be evaluated for equivalence.
  • You must provide a complete syllabus, textbook list, and graded coursework (if the course has been completed already) for evaluation. These materials should be submitted to the department responsible for the course that you intend to substitute.
  • Contact Dr. Kim Roberts ( (study abroad students contact Mr. Brian Koehler in 120 Page Hall for help locating departmental representatives who can evaluate your transfer course. Any engineering course, including non-CE courses, intended to satisfy graduation requirements in the CE, CEM, or ENE curricula must be approved by the department (Coordinator of Advising).
  • To transfer your course to NCSU, have an official copy of your transcript sent to the Undergraduate Admissions Office.
  1. My AP credit does not appear in my degree audit. How can I fix this? (Degree Audit Questions)
  • Credit for AP courses will not appear in the degree audit until your AP scores have been sent to NC State from College Board. The University will not accept “pass-through” AP credit. For example, you began your college studies at another institution and you had AP credit for, say CH 101. The AP credit for CH 101 will not be accepted by NCSU until confirmation of AP scores have been received directly from the College Boards (other institutions may not have the same requirements for AP credit as NCSU).
  • If there are errors or missing AP credits after scores have been received by NC State, contact or visit the Registration & Records Office (919-515-2572 or 1000 Harris Hall).
  1. I registered for a CCEE course, but I received an email notifying me that I was switched to another section or dropped from the course. Why did this happen, and what can I do about it?(Registration, Course Questions)
  • Occasionally, instructor changes are made that require a large class section to be split in two, or two may be combined. When this happens, students are moved to a new section by the department either on the same day and time schedule or in an available time slot.  The students moved are chosen randomly.
  • If you were dropped from a course, it is mostly likely for one of the following reason:
    • A bill was not paid with the university
    • Did not meet course prerequisites
    • Course was canceled
    • You are on academic suspension
  • For the first 3 cases above, there is nothing you can do to get back in the class.
  • If you feel you were dropped from a course for a prerequisite violation in error, however, contact Ms. Pascucci (
  1. I want to add/drop a course after the last day to add/drop. Can I do this? (Course Questions)
  • Deadlines for adding/dropping courses can be found here
  • The CCEE Department does not approve late additions in most cases.
  • Late course additions must be approved by the instructor of the course and the College of Engineering. A schedule revision form should be used to add a course.
  • Late course drops are permitted only under certain extenuating circumstances. A schedule revision form should be used to add a course. The form must be accompanied by a letter of explanation addressed to Dr. Dave Parish, Assistant Dean of Academic Affairs, justifying the request and supporting documentation (doctor’s notes, counseling center notes, etc.).
  • Students who have a legitimate reason for dropping a course after the deadline should first consult the University Counseling Center
  • The University policy on late drops (withdrawals) can be found at:
  • The University does not permit students to carry less than 12-credit hours in any semester unless the student will graduate that semester. The University similarly does not allow a student to drop below 12-credit hours unless there is clear, documented evidence of hardship. The student considering dropping below 12-credit hours should arrange an appointment with the Counseling Center. Schedule revision forms can be downloaded or picked up in Mn 203.
  1. Can I switch to another section of the same CCEE course after the last day to add a class? (Course Questions)


  1. I need to reserve a classroom for a student organization-related event. Whom do I contact about this? (Student Organizations)
  • You should make the request yourself by contacting �.
  • Routine student group meetings held on Wednesdays in Mn 216 are arranged by the department and the Faculty Advisors of the student organizations.
  • If you are having difficulty reserving a classroom, you may send an email request to Ms. Pascucci ( with the day, time, event or class size, and technology needed.
  • Please submit the request at least two days in advance of the event.
  1. Do I need to take the CH 201 lab (CH 202) for my environmental engineering major? (Course Questions, Environmental Engineering Questions)


  1. When do the CCEE labs begin at the start of the semester? (Labs)

Please await an email from your instructor regarding the start of labs. Labs begin at different times depending on lab schedule and instructor preference.

  1. How can I transfer into or out of the Department of Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering? (Transfer Questions, Change of Major)
  • Students who are planning an intra-campus transfer from any other major into CE, CEM or ENE must satisfy the CCEE CODA requirements (described in previous question). Those who satisfy the requirements should complete the online CODA application.
  • Students who are planning an intra-campus transfer out of CE/CEM/ENE to a different major within the College of Engineering should contact the academic advisor for that department.
  • Students who are planning an intra-campus transfer out of CE/CEM/ENE to a non-engineering major should first visit the Academic Advising Services website for information on admission requirements and for the name of an adviser in that department. Those who need more guidance about choosing non-engineering majors should make an appointment with an Academic Advising Services adviser.
  1. How do I transfer between CE, CON, ENE in the CCEE Department? (Transfer Questions, Change of Major)
  • Fill out a paper application (found in Mann 203). As long as students are in good standing this process is relatively simple.
  • Note there are often course requisite issues transferring programs later in academic career. Be sure to review the curriculum requirements before making the decision to transfer programs.
  1. How does the grade exclusion policy work? (CODA, Grade Exclusion)
  • Students may exclude grades (C- or lower) in up to two courses at any level.
  • First year retakes (found in older degree audits) count as exclusions.
  • Drop the grade exclusion form off for an adviser’s signature, then take it to the Office of Registration and Records, 1000 Harris Hall.
  1. How many times can I repeat the same course? (Course Questions, Advising, Course Repeats)
  • The university allows only two attempts of the same course if a grade of C- or lower is earned.
  • Courses in which a grade of C or better is earned cannot be repeated.
  • A third attempt will be permitted only in extenuating circumstances and only with the written approval of the CCEE Coordinator of Advising or Director of Undergraduate programs and then the approval of the College of Engineering. Requests for waiver for the University policy, that is, the opportunity for a third attempt will only be granted once in this department. Approved requests for waivers must be submitted by the student to Registration and Records.
  1. I am repeating a course that has a corresponding lab. Do I need to retake the lab, as well? (Course Questions, Labs)
  • If the lab is separate from the class and has any credit hours associated with it, you do not have to retake the lab.
  • If the lab is zero credits and part of the class, you must retake the lab with the class.
  1. I have a hold on my account that is preventing me from registering. How can I get the hold removed? (Advising, Registration)
  • Advising/registration hold: Follow the CCEE advising instructions
  • Academic warning hold: Complete an academic advisement report and bring it to your adviser
  • Non-payment/cashier’s office holds: Late payments for tuition or student health services. Payment must be made to the University Cashier’s Office before the hold can be released
  • Student conduct holds: Academic integrity or student conduct violation. Contact the Office of Student Conduct for more information
  1. How can I find out whether I am suspended or on academic warning? (Degree Audit, Advising, Registration)
  • Log into My Pack and view your Degree Audit.
  • Click on Total Units in the top right corner of the Degree Audit.
  • Academic standing is shown at the bottom of the Total Units page.
  1. I have been notified that I am on academic warning and need to meet with my adviser. What should I do? (Advising, Registration)
  • Bring a copy of an academic advisement form to your academic advisor. Be sure to fill out the top box before you come.
  • Leave your form with Ms. Pascucci in the undergraduate office (Mann 203).
  • Failure to follow these steps will result in a hold on your account that prevents registration for the next semester.
  1. I have been academically suspended. Can I take classes while I am on suspension, and when can I return to school? (Advising, Registration)
  • Students who are on academic suspension after their first semester at NC State are not eligible to take distance education courses.
  • Students on academic suspension beyond their first semester are allowed to take two distance education courses (non-CCEE courses only) per semester while on suspension.
  • Visit the DELTA website for an authorization form to take DE courses and a list of course offerings.
  • Refer to the university policy on academic suspension for return requirements
  • Information and steps to be readmitted can be found at
  1. I received an email notifying me that I am on progress toward degree warning. What does this mean? (Registration, Advising)
  • Progress toward degree warning means you are not progressing in your degree as required by the university (e.g., taking too many non-curriculum courses, repeating too many courses, not enrolling in the appropriate type or number of courses in the major, or other activities that indicate the student is not actively pursuing a degree in that major).
  • Students who receive a progress toward degree warning email should schedule a meeting with their adviser as soon as possible to develop an agreement and plan of work for improvement if they intend to stay in the major. If they intend to transfer to another major, they should contact the Coordinator of Advising in that program immediately.
  • Students who do not show improvement after one semester or fail to meet with their adviser will be transferred from the CCEE department into the non-degree studies (NDS) or Transfer Undergraduate (TRU) program and will be managed by the College of Engineering for no more than one semester.
  • The university policy on progress toward degree can be found here
  1. I plan to or have withdrawn from NCSU. Will the credits Ive already earned expire, and how can I enroll if I decide to return? (Advising, Counselling)
  • The credits you earn at NCSU do not have an expiration date.
  • A student who withdraws in good standing (GPA 2.0 or higher) may return any time.
  • Students who withdraw between semesters need only to drop all of their courses for the up-coming semester to be considered withdrawn.
  • Students who withdraw in the middle of a semester should make an appointment with the University Counseling Center for assistance.
  • The readmission guidelines and procedures can be found here
  1. I am a co-op student who needs to submit a plan of work or a post co-op report and forms. How do I make an appointment? (Co-Ops/Internships, Advising)

A meeting with your CCEE adviser is required. The advisor will briefly review your report and may ask you a few questions. In some cases, particularly in later co-op rotations, the advisor may ask you to leave the report for their review at a more convenient time. Once the report has been reviewed and the advisor has added their own evaluation, the student should return the signed forms to the co-op office.

  1. What is the difference between a co-op and an internship, and when is the best time to apply for one? (Co-ops/Internships)
  • A co-op is a structured, university approved work program designed to allow students to alternate semesters of school and paid work in their field of study. During semesters of work, students enroll in a zero credit co-op class (COP ***) that allows them to maintain continuous enrollment. Co-op generally requires one extra year in school to complete the program, and the time spent working can be applied toward a professional engineering license. For more information about co-op, visit the co-op website. Students should apply for the co-op program after they have CODAed. The co-op office typically offers required information sessions several times a semester. The student must attend one of these sessions before the co-op office will review their application.
  • An internship is paid, career-related experience, typically during the summer, though some students intern during the semester.
  • The Career Development Center  provides the  ePACK system to help you find an internship.  Many internship opportunities are posted on the jobs board across the hall from Mn 203. Students can intern at any time.  An internship does not necessarily apply toward a professional engineering license.
  • If a full-time internship is accepted during the fall or spring semester, you will need to withdraw and reapply for the next semester.  This can be avoided by taking at least one course from NCSU while interning, on-campus or via distance education (non-CCEE courses only).
  • Students with internships or co-op experience often have more job offers and better starting salaries.
  1. Can I receive course credit for an internship or engineering-related job? (Co-Op/Internship, Course Questions)

Course credit is not awarded for experience, paid internships or jobs. This is both a college and department policy.

  1. Is there a course that will help me prepare for the fundamental of engineering (FE) exam, and is the class required to take the exam? (Course Questions, Graduation)
  1. How do I apply for scholarships, and what are my odds of receiving one? (Scholarships)
  • Students MUST complete the online scholarship eligibility form to apply for all COE and CCEE scholarships. Most scholarships do not require need, but do require merit.
  • CCEE and COE scholarships are awarded only to students who have CODAed.
  • As an example of scholarship numbers in the 2013 year we awarded about $192,000 in scholarships to about 90 students in the department.
  • Odds of receiving a scholarship and scholarship amounts vary by year. Availability of funds determines the number and amount of new scholarships awarded each year.
  • Financial aid may also be available. Students should check with Financial Aid office directly.
  1. I am interested in doing undergraduate research. How do I get started? (Undergraduate Research)
  • If you are doing well in your classes and have time for outside activities, then undergraduate research may be for you. It is an excellent experience that prepares you for both professional practice and for higher education, which is becoming increasingly important for success in practice.
  • The best way to get started is to look through the faculty profile pages and the CCEE research links ( Then, select faculty who work on research topics of interest to you, and meet with them to discuss their undergraduate research opportunities.
  • Some research may be for course credit (as CE 496 – Special Topics in Civil Engineering) while other may be paid. Undergraduate students cannot receive both pay and course credit for the same work.
  • To register for CE 496, fill out a permission form, ask the professor you will be working with to sign it, and drop it off with Ms. Pascucci in the CCEE Undergraduate Office (Mann 203).
  • In addition to standard undergraduate research as CE 496, students may also apply for an undergraduate honors thesis. Please speak with faculty if interested in this excellent opportunity.
  1. Where can I find help planning out my remaining courses to make sure I graduate on time? (Advising, Registration)
  • Use your degree audit and your CE Worksheets (if CE) as your guide for planning courses.
  • If you want to deviate from the suggested sequence of courses in the degree audit, be sure you will meet prerequisites for future courses.
  • Take advantage of the plan of work feature in My Pack to plan out all of your courses.
  • Questions may be directed to your faculty advisor
  1. Which courses are C-wall for CCEE? (Course Questions, Course Repeats, C-wall Courses)

Please see the following curriculum sheets for all Pre and Co-Requisite requirements

  1. I made a C- in a C-wall class. Does this satisfy the C-wall requirement? (Course Questions, C-Wall Courses)
  • Yes, for courses that are not required for CODA.
  • Certain CODA courses will required a grade of C or better: CH 101, CH 102, MA 141, MA 242, and PY 205
  1. Which courses in the CE/CON/ENE curriculum can be taken for credit only? (Course Questions, Dropping Courses)
  • E 115 and PE courses can be taken for credit only.
  • All other courses, including general education requirements, must be taken for a letter grade.
  1. How can I tell which CE/CON/ENE engineering curriculum I should follow? (Curriculum Questions, Advising, Registration)
  • Log into your My Pack account and view the degree audit.
  • The Req Term field shows which curriculum you should follow
  • For example, all students who joined the CE program between July of 2010 and July of 2013 are on the Sum2 ’10 CE curriculum.
  • Students interested in moving to a more recent curriculum should check with their advisor and make an appointment with the Coordinator of Advising (COA) in Mann 203.
  1. How do I change my curriculum but stay in the CCEE Department? (Curriculum Questions, Advising, Registration, General Degree Questions)

Students interested in moving to a more recent curriculum should check with their advisor and make an appointment with the Coordinator of Advising (COA) in Mann 203.

  1. How can I get an official copy of my transcript? (Graduation, Graduate School, General Degree Questions)

Visit or contact the Office of Registration & Records (1000 Harris Hall) to request an official copy of your transcript.

  1. How many credit hours must I complete to reach the next academic level? (Advising, Registration, General Degree Questions)
  • Freshman: 0-29 Credit hours passed
  • Sophomore: 30-59 Credit hours passed
  • Junior: 60-91 Credit hours passed
  • Senior: 92 or more
  1. How are GPAs calculated, and where can a find an online GPA calculator? (General Degree Questions)
  1. Can I place out of a course (credit by examination)? (Course Questions, Transfer)
  1. How and when do I apply for graduation? (Graduation)
  • Apply for graduation during the advising period of your next-to-last semester (for example, apply during advising in F ’14 if you intend to graduate S ’15).
  • There are two steps for graduation check-out:
    1. Fill out a graduation form (Blue Card), which can be obtained from the CCEE Undergraduate office (Mann 203).
      • Fill out the front of the card and have your CCEE advisor review and sign. CE students must also fill the back of the blue card demonstrating how they have completed or intend to complete their degree requirements.
      • Print out your Degree Audit. Please include notes on the degree audit specifying misplaced courses or other special circumstances to facilitate our review.
      • Submit the blue card and degree audit paper-clipped together in Mann 203.
    2. Submit a graduation request online in My Pack at the same time you turn in your Blue Card.
  • If you submitted a Blue Card on time, your application will be reviewed by the Department, normally before the last day to add a course in your last semester. You will be notified by the Coordinator of Advising if there are deficiencies in your degree audit that cannot be corrected. If you have not submitted an annotated copy of the degree audit and the COA cannot (easily) identify corrections or substitutions, your application will be denied.
  • If your application to graduate has been denied for any reason, including GPA < 2.0 (overall and in the major), you must correct the deficiency needed and inform the COA by email so that the application can be reviewed again. If you cannot correct the deficiency, the COA will withdraw your application for that semester.
  • The College will review the application after it has been approved by the Department. Registration and Records then conducts a final review after grades have been posted (this step is the one of the main reasons your diploma is not mailed for several weeks after graduation).
  • R&R will not approve graduation for a student with an Incomplete (IN) and ANY course, even if not needed for graduation. This also includes co-op credit.
  • When the necessary forms have been submitted and approved you will receive email communications from the university and department about graduation-related details.
  1. Where and when are the departmental and university graduation ceremonies? (Graduation)
  • Information about the university graduation ceremony can be found here
  • Information about the CCEE graduation ceremony will be emailed to graduating students at the beginning of the semester.
  1. Can I “walk” (take part) in the departmental graduation in one semester if I will not graduate until the next semester? (Graduation)

Yes, but only if you just one course left to take the semester after you “walk.” For example, you plan to take ENG 331 in the Summer ’15. That is the last course you need to graduate. You can therefore “walk” in S ’15 departmental graduation ceremony.

  1. Which courses satisfy the computer science requirement for CCEE? (Course Questions)
  • It is recommended that students take CSC 112 (Sec. 002) – Python beginning S ’15.
  • CSC 112 (Fortran), CSC 116 (Java), and CSC 114 C++ are also currently accepted however non-CSC students may not have access or may have very limited access to these courses. CSC 200 cannot be used to satisfy the CSC requirement.
  1. Can COM 110 be substituted for ENG 331? (Course Questions, GEP Requirements)


  1. Will either MSE 200 or MSE 201 satisfy the CE and CEM curriculum requirements? (Course Questions, CEM Questions)

Yes, either course will satisfy the CE and CEM material science requirement.

  1. Which courses in the mechanical and aerospace engineering department can be substituted for CCEE courses? (Course Questions, Transfer)

While it is strongly recommended that student in CCEE take CE statics (CE 214), CE solid mechanics (CE 313), and CE fluid mechanics (CE 382 – Hydraulics) due to the course content focus, course style, and expectations in follow-on courses, the following substitutions can be made:

  • MAE 206 can replace CE 214 (Statics)
  • MAE 208 can replace CE 215 (Dynamics)
  • MAE 314 can replace CE 313 (Solid Mechanics)
  • MAE 308 can replace CE 382 (Hydraulics)
  1. I have courses listed under non-degree that are substitutes for degree requirements. How can I move these courses in my degree audit? (Degree Audit, Advising, Registration)
  • Course substitutions can only be done by the Coordinator of Advising and are generally done only during review of graduation applications. The department will adjust degree audits before graduation only for student athletes whose studies are reviewed by NCAA every semester or students on VA funding who are not compensated for courses in the non-degree category.
  • Substitutions can only be done for courses that have a grade, or are in progress. Planned courses do not meet degree requirements until they are in progress.
  • If concerned about substitution validity please speak with your faculty advisor
  1. What’s the difference with Statics in the CE and MAE Departments? What about transferring statics from a Community College? (Transfer, Course Questions)
  • It has been our experience that CE 214 provides coverage more closely matched with subsequent CE mechanics courses (CE 313 and CE 382). For this reason it is strongly recommended that CE students take CE 214.
  • Community colleges are not required to obtain engineering accreditation (ABET), a process by which academic coverage and rigor is assessed by outside experts. The department has found that students who take statics from non-ABET accredited institution often perform poorly in follow-on courses including structures, geotechnical, water resources, and construction engineering courses.
  • It has been the experience of the CCEE department that students taking core mechanics courses (CE 214, CE 313, CE 382) in the CCEE Department at NCSU are best suited for subsequent CCEE courses as there is coordination among CCEE faculty regarding course coverage expectation, and the rigor is appropriate to expectations at a leading engineering school
  1. I have a number of CE credits I can transfer from another engineering program. How many CE credit-hours do I need to take at NC State in order to graduate with an NC State CE/CEM/ENE Degree? (Transfer Questions, Course Questions, Graduation)

The College and the University have minimum “residency” requirements in order to earn a degree at NC State University. In order to earn an engineering degree at NCSU, students are required to complete a minimum of 48 of their last 60 hours of credit at NCSU and while admitted to the degree program. The department requires that those 48 hours be in engineering due to accreditation issues (also see ).

  1. I have two history (HI) courses as transfer credit. Why is one showing up in the non-degree category? (GEP Requirements, Registration, Degree Audit)

According to the university guidelines for GEP courses, students must take two humanities from different colleges (i.e. not both HI).

  1. How can I use GEPs to minor in ECON/BUS/FL/Etc.? (GEP Requirements, Minors)
  • Courses taken towards a minor can count as GEPs if they meet both the GEP and the Minor requirements. To ensure matchup please review the GEP requirements. Note: Humanities must come from different fields (not both HI or FL).
  • Some of the FL literature courses will count towards both a minor and satisfy a Humanities GEP requirement.Students should check with the specific department offering that minor.
  • Students who want to minor in Econ have to take 5 courses in Econ, one of which is the required Introduction to Economics (EC 205 or equivalent). The second Social Science course cannot be Econ, but EC 301 can be used as the Additional Breadth course.
  • There are few options for using GEP courses to help satisfy minors in other areas.
  1. How do I satisfy the FL requirement if the degree audit shows that requirement has not been complete? (Degree Audit, Minors, GEP Requirements)

If you passed two or more years of high school foreign language (two years in the same language) with a C or better, have your high school send a copy of your transcript to Registration and Records. This is sometimes a problem with transfer students who did not originally supply NC State University with a high school transcript.

  • If you do not have adequate high school credit, you must complete FLx 101 and FLx 102 or FLx 201, intended for students with some background in that language.
  1. I took FW 221; can it satisfy both CE/MA/SCI and an Interdisciplinary Perspectives (IP) requirement? (Electives, Degree Audit, Course Questions, Advising, Registration)

There are many courses that can be used to satisfy one or another graduation requirement, but no course can be used to satisfy more than one graduation requirement. For example, FW 221 can be used as either a CE/MA/Sci elective or as an IP (GEP) elective, but not both. Since both requirements have been met, however, the “replacement” course can be any other similar course. We would normally recommend using FW 221 as the Sci elective then using any other GEP course, including non-IP courses, to satisfy the GEP requirement. The student must satisfy specific content and total hour requirements in their curriculum.

  1. How can I tell if a course meets the US Diversity (or Global Knowledge) requirement? (GEP Requirements)
  • In your degree audit there is a “Verify” requirement for both USD and GK. In the event that you have met these requirements it will change from “Verify” to “Met”.
  • If you believe a course should meet the USD or GK requirement (i.e. it is on the universities list of approved USD or GK courses) you may speak with your faculty advisor.
  1. Can I use MAE 208 (Dynamics) as the CE/MA/SCI elective? (Electives, Course Questions)


  1. What are the requirements to walk in the CCEE departmental graduation? (Graduation)
  • Students must be at a point where they can graduate with only summer courses in the summer semester following the graduating semester.
  • Please speak with Toni Pascucci ( for details and to determine if you qualify.
  1. Can I graduate if I don’t have a 2.0 overall GPA? (Graduation)

No. This is University policy and cannot be waived.

  1. Can I graduate if I have don’t have a 2.0 major GPA? (Graduation)

Students with a GPA < 2.0 in the Major upon graduation can only graduate on the “C-Minus Plan”. This plan requires the student to earn a C- or better in all CE-prefixed courses used to satisfy graduation requirements. Students will NOT be granted a waiver for having to repeat a course if they have exceeded the number of enrollments in that course or other courses already. Once a student has a C- in all CE courses not listed as a non-degree course, this requirement has been met, and the student may graduate. Engineering courses such as MSE 200 and MAE 301 are not required to have a C- or better as long as the overall GPA is equal to or better than 2.0

  1. I am uncertain if CE/CEM/ENE is the right career path for me, who should I talk to about this? (General Degree Questions)
  • CCEE is not for everyone. You can schedule a meeting with your academic advisor or speak with Ms. Pascucci in Mann 203 to schedule an appointment with the Coordinator of Advising to discuss careers in CCEE.
  • Additionally, the Student Health Center has some career assessment resources to help you better identify career paths that align better with your interest.
  1. I am having personal/medical difficulties that are keeping me from performing well here at NCSU, with whom should I speak about this? (Counselling)

Unfortunately, these things happen. If you’re experiencing these problems, please address them as soon as possible with the student health center. The university has mechanism in place to provide support for student facing difficulties. Take care of yourself first, so you can give your schooling your full attention. Student Health Center: